Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Who are you and what have you done with valvrave?

So last week I watched the seventh episode of Samurai Flamenco, and if you've read any of the stuff pertaining to that you know i was absolutely amazed by it. I mean it went from a kick-ass the anime, with complex ideas, interesting characters that lived in a believable world, to motorcycle snake! Screw realism! We have a motorcycle snake.







Okay okay this is actually about Valvrave, and i promise that sooner or later I will actaully get over the whole Samurai Flamenco thing. A while back a show appeared on crunchyroll. Now I'm a huge mech fan, so I was interested to say the least. Then I actually watched the show. It's problem was that it took itself waaaay to seriously. I think it was around the time that a bunch of high-schoolers tried to make their own nation that it lost all credibility. It looked fantastic, and now we know what Hoshino has been doing instead of putting out another volume of D-Grayman. The main character is on level with Shinji Ikari. He's an annoying little prick. He's got a really good voice actor, who voices three of my favorite characters from three of my favorite anime this season (Eita from Oreshura, Staz from Blood Lad, and Sadao Maō from The Devil is a Part Timer), but combined with the script it's just.... Anyhow, going into my opinion of the first season is a whole other story, and will take up all of the space here if I write it.  I wasn't planning on watching Valvrave, because of my impression of the first season. Fortunently the whole left by attack on titan was too great for Kill La Kill to fill, so I began watching this show once again. Thank god I did. The second season is sooooo much better from the first. I mean first of all, there is a lot less 'character development' A.K.A whinny teenager fun. It felt forced. How do I put it? It's like someone tried to dress-up as batman to fight crime, but ended up f***ing it up for everyone. Second the plot actually moves away from bunch-of-highschool-assholes-running-a-country, and into more of the supernatural stuff, the interesting stuff. Next there is a ton less political stuff. Before you start saying "hey wait wait wait, you praised political intrigue in Gundam 00 didn't you?" Well That's because the keyword is intrigue. Valvrave's political stuff was not interesting, I didn't care at all who the hell Dorssia was or the United--You know what? It's Sunrise, let's just call them Zeon 2.0 and Earth Federation 2.0. In the end there was no complexity in the nations and the politics between them, because in the end, they were just two super-powers on the brink war. There were no conflicts of interest or whatever, it was simply a power trip. On the other hand the scenery shifted from space, to a more diverse and interesting background then black with a bunch of white holes poked through. The opening is better, the ending theme not so much. On the whole of things the second season is so much better than the first. Granted it is not perfect, in fact far from it. When I review this anime I'll get into that. However even the fact that it's not perfect didn't change my opinion of the twenty-first episode. So head's up spoilers ahead.
You do not know how much I hate her now.



The Twenty First episode was, in my opinion, the best episode of Valvrave so far. Okay, so on one hand it made no sense. The reactions of the leaders were to rapid to be believable, and the actions they took were too quick and things. i could see the soldiers killing them out of fear, but when they killed one person and found out they were not in fact immortal, it might've just might've been a sign to stop. Nevertheless, the episode was well done, to the point were I actually have feelings toward characters. I feel bad for Haruto, hate Shoko, Feel guilty that I don't know the name of the guy who died. I actually care about the characters, which is somethign I never thought this anime would accomplish. Furthermore, the anime is taking an interesting direction. In other words the plot may very well be interesting from here. Haruto will have to win the rest of the student's trust back, and I dunno. Basically the episode changed the plot direction, made me care about the characters, and made me excited to see what happens next. 

Sooooo, that's it! I know that there is actually an anime that I can review at this point, but considering i have a research paper, and a essay on Human Nature to complete, I'm not sure if I'll be updating again this week. As always, likes, follows and other positive stuff is always welcome! 

Be warned the following image may induce feels



No comments:

Post a Comment