Thursday, January 30, 2014

Five Centimeters per Second--sorta review


There are three questions that you're probably asking right now. The first is, why is this called a sorta review? Well to put it simply, it's because I couldn't finish it. I watched until there was about twenty minutes left before I couldn't take it any longer. So really this isn't as much a review as it is my thoughts on the movie.

Now you're going to ask; Is it a bad movie then? To which my answer is no; it's the complete opposite. Five Centimeters per second is a very good movie, but if were to say why you wouldn't read the rest of it, now would you?

Finally, if you're like me, the final question will be; What the hell is Five centimeters per second. to which my answer is; depression.

Makoto Shinkai. If you're unfamiliar with that name, that's cool. He's a director who's known for making beautifully rendered movies that pluck at your heart strings even if it's two sizes too small. he's known for movies like Voices of a Distant Star, Children who chase lost voices, and a plethora of other tear fests. Now I don't like to jump into his movies, because frankly, I don't like leaving a movie with a sad pain in my chest. Call me immature, but I am a Stickler for happy endings. When I saw that this movie was a romance, I thought, well maybe this one won't be so depressing. Ha, ha, ha, goddammit. 

The first thing you'll notice about this film is it's production values. It looks amazing. Every been amazed at something like Attack on Titan? Or maybe SAO? This anime's production values trump those by tenfold. I'm pretty sure that Japan's deficit would be solved if they devoted the budget of this movie to it, but whatever. It is pure eyecandy, nothing less than spectacular. Even if you don't like romance, even if you don't like depressing endings, the movie is still worth the price of entry if only for the visuals. But if there's anything I've learned from Guilty Crown, it's that visuals aren't everything. 

The next thing you'll notice about the anime is the atmosphere. Characters are strangely melancholy. Contrary to their moe counterparts, these characters are not all smiles and sunshine. Of the four characters in the film, each and every one is not exactly content with life. Let me put it this way. Characters are not overacted, and there fore feel distinct. Nothing is overacted, and people behave as regular people. There are many great and memorable moments with each of the characters. Tear jerkers, tear jerkers, and, hey look a heart warmi---nope another tear jerker. 

Plot--For some reason there are three arcs to the movie, one of them being completely unrelated to the other. It was sort of random, but it was a good arc. Other than that pacing is done pretty well. It kept me onto the edge of my seat until the end of the second arc, wherein I realized this anime was not going to have a happy ending. Sigh

Sound--I actually didn't really pay much attention to the soundtrack, but as far as I can tell, it's pretty good. It didn't stand out enough to distract me, but it set the mood well. 


Finally the Romance. it's good romance, and it goes into the complexity of the emotion that few anime dare to---aw who am I kidding, I freaking hate it! Yeah this is damn subjective, but I don't give a freaking damn. Yes its a good romance, but its so damn depressing. Nothing turns out right, everyone leaves with a broken heart. Sure this anti-resolution is part of the movie's theme. it's all about moving on; creaking away from the past and paving the way towards a brighter future. i can appreciate the overall theme, but again this movie made me feel so damn depressed. 

While other anime like Mirai Nikki pluck at my heartstrings, these guys just flat out rip them out. And while Sakurasou places them back, this movie throws them down the drain, before hitting the garbage disposal button.

So this isn't a review, this really more my thoughts on the movie. I recommend it to anyone who likes really depressing movies. It's a really good movie. Characters are well designed, visuals are stunning, from what I can tell the soundtrack is damn good, and the message is a good one. Not every romance is going to work out. God knows I know that, but at the same time it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. 

If you liked this review, likes follows and spreading the word are all things that would be nice. I'll siya next time.

















No comments:

Post a Comment