Thursday, March 20, 2014

Should you be watching Recently My Sister is Unusual? (nononononononononono)

Type in 'Recently my Sister is Unusual' into YouTube and you will find things like 'WTF just happened', 'Worst anime evar' 'WTF did I just watch?'. See the trend? No? let me spell it out, EVERYBODY HATES IT. Me? Well it has Yui Ogura in it, the voice actress behind Tsukukashi Tsukiko, one of the protagonists of Henneko, and while it may beat the horse past death and into the fourth dimension, Henneko is one of my favorite anime ever. So needless to say my vision was...colored when it came to this anime. I wasn't glowing, in fact I wasn't positive in my first impressions, but I wasn't calling it the worst anime evar. Now? If it weren't for Freezing, then yeah, I might be convinced. 
Not afraid? You will be, you will be.



First off the animation, I know four year-olds who draw better than this! Hell, I coul--okay, okay a joke's a joke. Really though, the character designs are bad! Their heads are all shaped like their in the cone-heads on Saturday Night Live. It's beyond distracting; I can't get into the freaking fanservice! The one  redeeming quality of this show, and I can't enjoy it. I'm a sixteen, adolescent guy, and I can't get into lesbian sex?! There's something inherently wrong with that. Oh, yeah, there is sex in this show. Not only that, but it's a central pillar to the plot. Still trying to defend this show? I'll get to that later, though. 

Behold, I just saved twenty minutes of your life, because this is it! Fanservice and unattractive character models---Except Dan Aykroyd is funny, unlike this crap!
Nothing amazes about this animation. At least with Aku No Hana, you could grab a couple friends, and point and laugh. Here, the animation isn't that bad. It looks generic, that's it.


Plot--Yes, this anime has a 'plot', I put it in quotes because I'm afraid calling it that would be like calling the Holocaust a difference of ideology. The 'plot' is that a girl gets a brother after her father re-marries (hear that, it's the sound of originality— rolling in its grave). Soon she sees a ghost and gets pushed down a flight of stairs only to awaken with a chastity belt attached to her. *sighs* Anyhow, a ghost has attached to her (voiced by you know who) and tells her that the only way for her to survive is to have sex with her brother. Bear with it, brain cells, It'll be over soon. But she can't do that! We've still got thirteen more episode of this sh*t. Yeah the first two episodes basically involve her trying to hold her piss in...never thought I'd see that sentence anywhere out of Shades of Gray. I'd go on, but I have MCAS tomorrow, and I need some braincells.
Really, It looks like Pacman took a bite out of her head

Characters-- There's also characters in this! Which I could quickly sum up with stereotypes. There's the oblivious brother who I swear would have trouble understanding the concept of a brick being thrown in his face, the tsundere sister, the over-attached character, who's the opposite of the tsundere, the childhood friend, the perverted best friend, and the irresponsible parents. Are any of them any deeper than this base summary? Nope! Unless you count sad back-stories, because even in this crap we need character development. By character development, I mean back-stories and flashbacks. I wouldn't mind so much, except they only spend two minutes and thirty-eight seconds on it and immediately afterwards we're treated to a scene with her having an orgasm thanks to fish.




No. No, no, no no. No, no, no, no, WHY?!

Junji Majima, you were in things like Fariy Tail, Asura Cryin', and Kore Wa Zombie Des Ka! Why did you pick this?!Hisako Kanemoto; You were in Gargantia on the Veredous Planet, Strike the Blood Hell you were in Durarara! Why are you here! You have talent! Use it!
And finally Yui Ogura. You've played two of my favorite characters in anime, Tsukiko and Kanda from Sakurasou! Ddid you even read the script?! 


We still have sound, and romance to get through, but I can sum it up in three sentences. Romance hasn't gone anywhere because it's early, but I'm not sure I want it to. It has great voice actors, but boring characters and and equally boring script. Soundtracks are done by Ryosuke Nakanishi, who can do good stuff, but I didn't really pay attention to it. 

 THIS IS GETTING A LIVE ACTION FILM GUYS! WHAT THE HELL?! 


 Ok, it has some positives, the best friend is kinda funny, and the opening and ending are great.

So there! In answer to the question stated above, it isn't worth watching! It's not as insulting as Freezing, but in every other way, it's just as bad. In my opinion, anime is a medium that you can judge less harshly than any other form of entertainment, because it is one of the only forms of entertainment where you don't have to spend any money to view it (legally). There are so many better things you can do with your time! Ride a bike, build a model statue of liberty, or freaking save a kitten from a tree! Thank you for reading and good night!

*Update* In case you're wondering, I should have the next part of anime you should be watching out this weekend. Might be doing a review of Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai, and don't worry, I'm not going to trash it. 























No comments:

Post a Comment