Sunday, March 9, 2014

Top Twelve anime of the winter season that you should be watching (13-14) Part One

Overall I'd say that the winter season has been pretty bountiful. I can't really think of an anime this season that didn't leave a strong impression on me after the first episode. Whether it be confusion, anger, or laughter m, my first impressions of the season were strong. But which ones have improved; which ones have held up?



There are a few rules to this; The anime has to be made during the winter season of 2013-2014. There's going to be one exception for that, but we'll get there when we get there

11) Hamatora 

Quick Synopsis--Minumum holders are people born into this world who have a gift. The story follows a cast of characters who've formed a detective agency called Hamatora. Together, they solve mysteries, kick ass, and screw around like no tomorrow, all while being strung about by a silly little thing called plot.

Quicker synopsis; It's like watching Darker than Black while high

Does this deserve to be here? I dunno. This show ain't Samurai Flamenco, where I can go from loving it, to hating it, to loving it again in a matter of seconds. At the same time I think it's one of those shows that you'll love or hate...unless your me. Why is it good though? Well the animation for one. Granted the fight scenes look like the animator was the tripping, animation quality is top-notch. Characters have a lot of intrigue; it's cool how they're given an air of intrigue rather than cross sectioned as most anime characters. They aren't developed, but the series is young so, who knows? So why is this not higher on the list. Tone and plot. Episodes can get damn preachy, as characters tap into the inner Jesus Yamatos and deliver will-crushing speeches that leave their former opponents sobbing in a pool of unbreakable logic and insoluble black and white. Now I can't give away spoilers here, but the tone can get damn muddled. At one point something happens. Something very brutal, very shocking, and pretty powerful. The end of the episode the anime had grasped my full attention. The next episode started a re-cap, which was fine, it reestablished the tone, before diving into a beach episode. A beach episode? Really?! Not only that, but the beach episode also has some sappy undertone that's about as subtle as killing someone with a fish. Overall though it's well worth watching.
No, I don't know what they're smoking, and yes, I want some too.

Where to find it; Crunchyroll


10) Witchcraft Works

Quick synopsis; It's about witches. Okay, okay. It's about a guy at a school, who is thrown into a world of magical and mystery after being attacked by those rabbits from that Rayman spinoff. He also becomes a princess. You'll see...

Quicker synopsis; scroll down a bit.


Now for those of you who are shaking your moniter yelling 'why the hell is this 11' I have a confession. Forgive me, guys, for I have sinned. The reason why this show isn't higher on the list is not because I think it doesn't deserve it, but because I kinda haven't watched much of it. In my defense, I have a ton of anime on my list of things to watch. Witchcraft Works is one of them, but it just hasn't reeled me in as some of the other anime on this list have. It hasn't developed much of a plot, with witches coming to the school to try to nab some of the main character's 'white stuff'...yeah you have fun interpreting that. What I have seen has impressed me, though. First is the fact that said main character is weak, has a really powerful thing inside him, is being chased by things that want that thing, and is constantly in need of protection by a girl who's hair turns red when powered up and is known for her wielding of flames. What an original...oh wait.




But honestly reminding me of Shakugan no Shana is not a bad thing. Especially because it's one of my favorite anime out there. Animation is great as long as you aren't a stickler for CGI. Let me just say that whoever does the camerawork deserves a medal. Script is decent, you won't be getting to many laughs, but it has it's moments. I can't tell where the characters are going, but I think it's in the right direction. It's definitely worth seeing, if only for the visuals.
Where to watch; Crunchyroll


9) Oneechan Ga Kita!-- You know, it's times like this where I reflect on my life. I'm really recommending an anime called My Older Sister Came!... Or at least that's what I would say, if I didn't feel absolutely convinced that this show is awesome. It's a short anime with each episode being about three minutes long. What can I say? It's animation is stylish, comedy is pretty damn good for something packed into a three minute time span, hell it even has some cute moments too. my line with anime is that the only thing you're wasting by trying an anime is your time, and dammit this is worth three minutes of your day. Oh and did I mention that the ending theme is sung by the same voice actress who played Yuuki in Mirai Nikki?

Where to watch; Once again, Crunchyroll



No comments:

Post a Comment