Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Should you be watching beyond the boundary?



Well I don't really have a lot to review these days, seeing I'm savoring the endings to all the good series I'm watching. So I'd thought I'd try to do some sort of first impressions thing. This thing is basically taking a look at anime I'll probably do a review of later, but to get an impression of them while they're still out. This may contain some spoilers.


Beyond the boundary is a new 2013 anime that is developed by Kyoto animation.  it is a departure from the studio's usual Moe fest stuff. Though that isn't to say that it isn't there.
Note to self, this is how to pick up girls.



The basic premise is that there is a supernatural underworld unbeknownst to most people, where guys called Spirit warriors run around slicing up Yomu and gaining rocks that can be traded in for money. The premise isn't bad, just overused. The characters include, Ganta in female form, a guy who doesn't believe that women should be judged by how they look, but rather on how they look with glasses on,  little sister fetish guy, and said little sister kuudere. There, the cast in a nutshell. Now it's worth noting that this anime takes its sweet time to get going. This being said I was pretty bored with the first two episodes of this anime. All I heard was one guy having repeated fangasms over glasses, with the phrase "that is unpleasant" being repeated like a broken record. Humor at the start is mediocre at best. In this light, since most of the first two episodes revolve around said humor and character interactions, the series is damn boring. It isn't until the end of the third episode that it actually realizes that it should pick up the damn pace. It was around this point that I initially dropped this show. While it was getting interesting, it still wasn't enough to hold my attention. So about three weeks later, i decided to pick it up once more. I am not disappointed. Here is where the action starts to shine as does the humor. By the sixth episode it's apparent to me the Little sister fetish guy and glasses fetish guy duo is best character of the entire anime. Their interactions are way better than one of them by himself. As for the action, well let me say that Kyoto Animation can do more than draw high-school girls in short skirts. They can draw High-school girls in short skirts with blood swords. In case you didn't get the Deadman Wonderland reference back there, one of the characters has to ability to weaponize her blood. This leads to some pretty interesting looking fight scenes. I mean from what I've seen the anime has some pretty damn interesting set pieces. In all seriousness this anime is one of the best looking anime of the fall season. It may not be as distinct as Kill La Kill, but it's the old KyoAni charm. In terms of sound assets, they're pretty good as far as I've seen. I mean on the one hand, there haven't been any OSTs that have really stood out to me, but they were never distracting enough for me to not pay attention to the anime and instead to them. They fit, so that's something. the voice actors are solid, but that may be because they haven't really had a chance to really shine. Romance can't be judged until the end. Ummmm I think that's it. 
This guy must play a lot of Skyrim

So to sum it up, this anime is fairly worth watching if you like KyoAni, Moe, action, and supernatural stuff. Hell even if you're looking for some eye-candy, this thing's got you covered. As long as you can get past the first two episodes, this anime should be worth watching. 




                                                                                                       

No comments:

Post a Comment